Tuesday 21 June 2016

ON A MORE SERIOUS NOTE, IT IS THAT BIG OF A DEAL!


Let me start this write up in pidgin English “na you wan sell, na you dey do guy, who you help?” I have my money, I can go wherever I like. I don’t have an obligation to patronize you.

You see, when the customer care service of an organization is a write off with hostile or less than friendly staff, it is a big deal because I really don’t know why they exist in the first place. Unfortunately, we find them everywhere; in the banks, shopping malls, private firms, government palatals and of course in the market place. I have often felt like walking away without achieving my purpose of visiting a customer help desk as in one experience I had with a certain popular bank; I needed to make a withdrawal urgently but I couldn’t because all efforts to get my ATM card from the said bank had proved abortive for no good reason. I however desperately needed to make the withdrawal so I went to the customer care stand. First, she couldn’t even manage a smile; second, it was like I was more of an intruder than a customer. I didn’t mind much, so I went on to carry out her counsel which meant I had to meet another staff of the bank. On getting upstairs, my warm hello was met with a very stern look like the ‘can’t you see I’m busy’ look. I was desperate so I went ahead and stated my reasons for appearing before her uninvited but she totally ignored me and kept on with her business. I just stood there wondering… until (by coincidence) the first person that attended to me down stairs came up and (to my surprise) asked if I had been attended to. Only then did the lady turn to her colleague and ask in a condescending tone “what is her issue”? I was dumb founded and totally felt like a kid who didn’t possess the ability to express herself. I might have blown up (the former me, I would have brought down the whole banking hall with my wahala) but I thought, two wrongs never make a right. So I put a lid on it, walked out of the scene, then thought of an alternative to solve my problem rather than rely on a bunch of hostile and untrained individuals. What they didn’t know was that they just helped me finalize my decision to close down my account with them that day, being that this wasn’t my first experience. 

Has it ever crossed your mind that people always have alternatives? Well may be not immediately, but push them hard enough to the wall and they would create their own alternatives sooner than you think. Every sales man or customer care personnel should see his or her position as a privileged one. Attending to people’s needs and concerns especially as it touches your business or area of expertise is an opportunity everyone should rather be grateful for,  handling it with care, more politely than arrogantly. 

I once heard of a certain government official who served years ago and had to face an endless queue of contractors waiting for payments and other individuals needing assistance; it was said, that never once did a sad or angry man go in and come out the same. Not because he always had the money to give them, but because he had a warm personality and knew how to genuinely appeal to people’s emotions. Not because he couldn’t afford to be arrogant but he had understanding. So rather than create a scene and have all manner of people bad mouthing him and sabotaging his efforts, he played the humane role and had people come out of his office smiling and hopeful even when their request was not granted. I’m not talking about politicizing; I’m talking about a genuine rapport with people. It’s just the way we humans are wired; to crave physical and emotional comfort / satisfaction. As long as you have chosen to render services to people, it really doesn’t matter how upset you are or how manner less, careless and untrained you maybe. All that matters is that you deliver on the job. But where it has become too much of a priority to pet your ego, or sulk over underpayment and express the level of your insensitivity, then you may very well stay at home. At least when customers don’t find you, they’ll return another day to check up on you but when you drive them away with your attitude, they will consciously advise themselves to get an alternative.  

Customer service according to study.com, is the act of taking care of the customer’s needs by providing and delivering professional, helpful, high quality service and assistance before, during and after requirements are met. The outcome of every transaction largely depends on the quality of customer service. Personally, I would rather patronize someone whose goods are more expensive but has a warm and persuasive persona in handling the transaction then one who sells cheap but with a stinking attitude. Charity, they say, begins at home. If it’s an attitude problem, find a way to deal with it from the root, if it is a momentary challenge, apply the customer care persona, it always works. Pretend to be it or be it for real, long as you get your job done, it’s all that really matters in this case.
Whether as a banker or a market woman, one major branding goal should be to make profitable sales and build integrity if you must keep your clientele. A satisfied client has no reason to desire a change. But satisfaction goes beyond just throwing the right goods and services at the customer, to offering it satisfactorily, after all, there is a saying that ‘customer is king’ so how do you serve a king? Assuming your service were to be a meal; don’t you think it would be more presentable and dignifying to not just make it sumptuous but to put it in a clean tray alongside water to drink, wash and a napkin to dry out the hands while you have on a genuine smile? How do you think such a customer would feel? Like a king! If not for the taste (quality) of the food (goods), for the feeling of regard and acceptance felt (customer service), he would definitely think of coming back, let alone when the taste is great too. 

One question you should ask yourself often is; why am I here? 
To 
This will help to keep you focused. Another question is, if I fail, who stands to lose? they who have the money and a variety of places they can get the same services from, or the sales man who needs to sell off his goods before they expire or go out of fashion and become irrelevant in the business? Let’s even assume that somehow, customers are stuck with you, what happens to the place of integrity in building your businesses and other relationships? We all (merchants and customers alike) need to be careful in the way we relate with people, be conscious of the signals we are sending them and constantly reevaluate our values. 

 Nigeria, you must hear this! Strive for excellence, it doesn’t kill. We have all it takes to do better than most countries in the world but we would rather seek out short cuts and quick gratification. That must stop. Greatness is built over time, one step at a time, with integrity, diligence, consistency and patience. That’s how people come about posterity in business and life generally. This very important strategy may be all you need to be in business longer and better than McDonalds or Guinness, Coca-Kola and the rest of them. It’s not magic, trust me. 
Are you a banker, a market woman, a mall, hotel or restaurant attendant, a single lady waiting to be found, a single guy looking out for Miss. right, or even a boss desiring staff cooperation, a subordinate expecting a cordial relationship … we are all business men and women of different sorts and it would amaze you to know how much of your clientele you can retain for as long as you are in business, with the right attitude. 

There is no substitute for the right attitude; not money, power, position…nothing! The guide line to caution ourselves would be to treat others how you would want to be treated. Acquiring professional skills may cost you a worthy fortune however, being nice and polite is as effective yet, doesn’t cost a thing, on the contrary, it adds to you in ways you may not immediately realize. Your attitude is not a product of what people do to you, it is a product of whom you really are (whom you’ve built yourself into be over time).  Your customer care service could be your signature secret, don’t trivialize it. 


By Fidelia Ben-Udi

Whatever is worth doing is worth doing well.


3 comments:

  1. Nice one Fidelia. Give it the widest publicity, this problem is common and needs to be addressed. In my own opinion, the 'I don't care attitude' is common because some people feel they don't own the business hence don't just care. We just have to keep our conscience alive, understand our duties well and do the right thing - you might own an establishment one day. Remember whatever you sow, you shall reap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sheun. What people don't understand is that 'he who is faithful in little, is faithful in much'. If we can't be faithful with another man's business, we won't be faithful with ours. There's no magic about it. Attitude is a lot to ignore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sheun. What people don't understand is that 'he who is faithful in little, is faithful in much'. If we can't be faithful with another man's business, we won't be faithful with ours. There's no magic about it. Attitude is a lot to ignore.

    ReplyDelete