Friday 22 January 2016






Waiting...
And BOOM! It’s here!
That odd moment when you realize how old you are!
Some time ago, while I sat and pondered over life, some lines popped into my head… 

What happened to life
Somebody tell me
What happened to life
All of a sudden it’s changing
All the fairy tales are gone
All the care free stuff is gone 
It is time to face reality

As at the time I wrote this song, I was still dazed at the difference between childhood and adulthood…it wasn’t a sudden transition, but the realization sort of was, for me. 
When I was a child, I looked at most adults with envy, admiration and longing mixed, wanting to be in charge and be where they were, and do what they did because it looked cool to be in charge and do whatever I wanted. So I would say things like “when I grow up, I will buy a bucket of ice cream and take it all by myself”. Little did I know that I had to worry first about getting the money, budgeting, and then watch out for myself so I didn’t come down with a running stomach or worse – I had to be responsible. So I eagerly waited for the day I would be an adult and BOOM! It’s here already, all of a sudden, from childhood to teenage hood, and its adulthood already!
Now I get to worry about keeping a job, safety, diet, makeover, a man… Gosh! The list is endless and at this point, I remember the saying, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it”. Now I’m not sure I believe in wishes anymore but sometimes I wish I was a child again to depend on mum and dad for everything; that’s what I call ‘the childhood fever’.





 So now I’m all grown and I just have to get off my butt and do certain things or they will remain undone. No more unnecessary pouting and whining or faking of ill health! *Laugh out loud*.   Didn’t you do that? Well I did cover myself up and lie in bed till it was time for school in pretense of ill health just because I was lazy about going to school that day. Now, I have to wake people up for morning devotion, cook breakfast, get ready for work … like it or not. Now i know why Peter Pan didn't want tongrow up. I realised somewhere along the line, that the only reason I was so much in a hurry to grow up was because I wanted the freedom of adulthood without the responsibilities attached. Does it happen that way?

Well I believe growing up is a process, and don’t get me wrong, it is fabulous! Not boring at all. Being an adult is an awesome experience too, but thoroughly laden with the burden of responsibility. Only those who build strong muscles in anticipation and preparation for it are able to meet up with the demands of adulthood and truly experience the ‘freedom’ of it. How ready are you for the next phase of life? Make it a point of duty to build your muscles because Mr. Macho isn’t a conferred title but an earned one.

Kindly share some specific demands of adulthood that you have experienced and how you are handling it. Be of help to someone who needs it. Thanks.   

No comments:

Post a Comment